Translate

Monday 25 February 2013

Stitch and stay warm!

- I've had a great morning making a 'stitch and flip' quilt in flannel. It's a great way to create a child's quilt that feels more like a blanket when made in flannel. When I make a quilt I always hand stitch the binding in place.  I was taught at school to pick up every stitch the machine had made on the edges with my needle when stitching by hand....consequently putting bindings on takes time.....but....it's not so bad in winter time as I sit snuggly under my quilt as I sew.
I'll be putting it up for sale on my website tomorrow....it's in gorgeous girlie pink, yellow and aqua flannel.
- I read about a new tool for marking quilting lines on the weekend. It isn't a pen, pencil or chalk but a tool that leaves an indentation so there's never any marks left after quilting. Has anyone used one? I think it's called a Hera Marker by Clover. In the old days a quilt would always have it's blue pencil lines remaining after the quilting had been finished, but these days we seem to be a bit fussier and don't like to see them after the quilt is done.....I wonder why that is?
- If you are new to quilting there are a few new magazines on the market that are worth a look. One is called 'Love Quilting & Patchwork' and the latest Spring issue has a little booklet in it by Nicki Trench called 'Quilts made easy' 60 Tips and techniques for patchwork and quilting. It's a concise and helpful booklet for a beginner. Being a 'vintage' girl I was very pleased to see they include a double page spread on English paper pieced hexagons amongst all the latest modern fabrics and quilt designs!
Look out for my latest quilt tomorrow......

Nic xo




No comments:

Post a Comment